Many people spend their days switching between computers and smartphones for emails, calls, and other work. The Phone Link (formerly Your Phone) app helps you access your phone through your PC, so you don’t have to take your phone out of your pocket.
In this article, we will take a look at what Microsoft’s Phone Link app is, how it works, and whether it is worth using or not.
What is Microsoft Phone Link?
The result of a partnership between Microsoft and Samsung, the Phone Link application allows you to connect your smartphone to Windows. You can send texts and calls, check your notifications and access your Android files through your PC. While you’re sitting at your PC, you won’t need to pull out your phone to see what’s going on.
The idea behind the app is to make multitasking easier and increase your productivity at work.
Although it works best for Samsung devices (such as Samsung Galaxy or Samsung Duo), it also works for other Android phones, but with limited functionality. You can also link iPhones and other iOS devices via Phone Link, although there are very limited features for Apple users.
To avoid confusion, the Microsoft Phone Link app is the PC app, while the analog app for Android devices is called Link to Windows.
How to connect Phone Link to your PC?
For the Phone Link application to work, you must have it installed on your PC. It comes pre-installed on Windows 10 and 11 and can also be downloaded through the Microsoft Store.
The Phone Link Companion app must be installed on your Android device. Some Samsung devices come with this pre-installed; if not, you can find it on the Google Play Store.
To configure Phone Link:
- Open the app on your phone. You can find it by searching Link to Windows. If you don’t have the app, install it from the Google Play Store. In the app, select add a computer.
- The app will give you the link. www.aka.ms/addcomputer. Load it into your PC’s web browser. A pop-up window will appear asking you to choose an application. Hurry Choose the app.
- To select telephone connection and press open link.
- This will open the Windows Phone Link app. Hurry Continue to continue with the wizard.
- The Windows application will download a PIN code. On your phone, tap Continue.
- On your phone, enter the PIN and touch Fact.
- Your PC should now end the connection. To touch Fact on your phone and select Continue on your PC to complete the pairing.
- On your PC, select Begin and after To jump to enter the app. More information will appear which you can read or ignore.
Your phone should now be connected to your Windows PC.
To note: You can connect to your PC via Wi-Fi or your mobile data. To allow access via mobile data, open Settings > advanced features > Link to Windowsthen activate use mobile data.
What are the features of Phone Link?
There are five main features of the Phone Link app, one of which is only available to Samsung users.
- Notifications: The Phone Link app allows you to access your phone’s notifications through your PC. To use this feature, you need to allow the app in notifications. Select Notifications from the left menu, then open your phone’s settings to grant the app permission. To see your notifications, tap the Arrow at the top left of the screen.
- Posts: View and send text messages through the PC application. To select Posts in the top menu to view your SMS messages. Send a new message by selecting New message.
- Pictures: The Windows app also lets you access your phone’s photo album to view recent images or screenshots. Select the Pictures tongue. You can copy, edit or drag photos between your phone and PC without touching your phone. Some Samsung models allow you to do this with other file types as well.
- Applications: View your mobile apps and use them (if supported) from within the Windows app. Easily add apps to your favorites list or pin them to the taskbar to access them from your desktop. You can also mirror your phone screen to your PC screen by clicking Open Phone Screen. Unfortunately, this is one of the Phone Link features that is only available for Samsung users.
- Calls: Make and receive phone calls from your PC via the Phone Link app. To access this feature, you will need BlueTooth capabilities on your PC and phone. To select Begin to establish this connection and start making calls. This app feature requires you to have Windows 10.
The pros and cons of the Phone Link app
For those who need to stay in constant contact with their phone, whether for work or otherwise, the Phone Link app can be a useful tool, especially for Samsung users. In fact, if you have a Samsung phone, you’ll be able to keep a window open that mirrors your phone’s screen, which means you can use your phone as usual.
One of the most common problems with Phone Link is that it disconnects frequently. This makes the app pretty useless and there doesn’t seem to be a consistent solution to the problem.
- Very easy to set up and connect your phone and PC
- Decent user interface and clean design
- Easy to use
The inconvenients :
- Relatively buggy – many users report connectivity issues
- Non-Samsung users have fewer features
Is the telephone connection worth it?
For many users, Phone Link is the most awaited application to increase productivity. Accessing your phone through your PC, rather than switching between the two, makes multitasking much easier. It’s easy to set up and even easier to use, and we encourage you to give it a try if it sounds like the kind of app that could help you work more efficiently.