What you need to know?
- In the Instagram app, go to your profile, tap Settings > Notifications, and choose the ones you want to receive.
- Go to your profile, tap Settings > Push Notifications on a desktop computer, and make your selections.
This article explains how to receive Instagram notifications on the mobile app and desktop website, manage email notifications, and receive notifications from specific accounts.
How to Turn on Instagram Notifications?
By default, when you install Instagram, app notifications are turned on. If you no longer receive notifications, you may have disabled them in the App or by using the more general notification controls on your device. Here’s how to turn notifications back on. Instagram in the App.
Do you have too many notifications? You can easily disable them.
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile device and tap the Profile icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- On your profile page, tap the hamburger menu in the top right corner.
- In the menu slider that appears, tap Settings at the bottom of the menu.
- On the screen of Settingtap Notifications.
- On the screen of NotificationsFirst, make sure Pause All is unchecked (grayed out). If it is activated, you will not receive any notifications during the period that you have specified.
- Then tap Posts, stories, and Comments.
- Then scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Options additional in the system configuration.
- Tap Show notifications to turn on Instagram notifications on the System Settings page.
- If you are an iOS user, you may need to go to Settings > Notifications and touch the App Instagram to adjust the settings.
- You can then scroll through the available options to individually control which notifications you want to receive.
An alternative way to adjust your notifications is to go into each category on the notification screen. Notifications and adjust them by subcategories. This gives you very granular control of your notifications. Still, it can take a bit of time to get through all the different notifications, but you do have the option to turn on notifications for everyone or just for people you follow.
In the Posts, Stories, and Comments section, you can turn on notifications for:
- Likes: Turn off or choose who you want to notify when they like a post you’ve created.
- Likes and comments on photos: Turn off or choose who you want to receive notifications from when they like or comment on photos you’ve posted.
- Your photos: Turn off or choose who notifies you when they like or comment on photos you’re tagged in.
- Comments: Turn off or choose who gets notified when they like or comment on comments you’ve left on Instagram.
- Comments Likes and Pins: Turn notifications for comment likes and pins on or off.
- First posts and stories: Activate the notifications of the first post of the new followers or the stories of your followers.
Yes, you choose to go into each category of notifications and change. What you get and what you don’t get, and if you’ve previously had notifications turned off, the first time you try to change notification. You will be taken to the notification screen of the App to activate the notifications in general.
How to Turn Notifs on for Instagram for Individual Accounts?
Another way to control notifications on Instagram is to turn on post notifications for individual accounts. This allows you to determine what you want to see from each connected user.
- Open the Instagram app and tap the search icon in the bottom navigation bar.
- On the search page, tap on the search bar and start typing the name of the person you want to receive notifications from.
- Select the profile right in the search results to go to that profile page.
- On that person’s profile page, tap Follow.
- Press Notifications.
- You can turn on notifications for posts, stories, IGTV, and live videos on the screen notifications.
- When you’re done, you can return to your home screen, and, in the future, you will receive the notifications you have selected for that person.
How to Turn on Post Notifications on Instagram of Desktop Version
If you happen to use the desktop version of Instagram, you can also change your notifications there.
The change of your preferences from notifications only applies to the device you change them on. So if you change them on the Instagram desktop app through a web browser, it doesn’t affect the notifications you receive when you use the Instagram app on your mobile device.
- Open Instagram in your web browser, then click your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- In the menu that appears, select Setting.
- In the navigation menu on the left, select Push Notifications.
- Scroll through the list of Next screens and adjust the notification you want or don’t want to receive. Those options include:
- Comments Likes
- Likes and comments on your photos
- Accept follow requests
- friends on Instagram
- Instagram Direct Requests
- Instagram Direct
- First posts and stories
- IGTV View Counts
- help requests
- live videos
For each selection, you can choose between On or Off or, in some cases, you have the option of Off. From People I Follow, or From Everyone.
Once you’ve made your selections, you can return to Instagram, and your new settings will automatically save.
How to change Instagram email notifications
One last place you may want to adjust notifications for Instagram is in the email category and SMS. This is where you can control the email notifications you receive. To get there, click your profile picture and click Settings > Email & SMS. You can select or deselect your preferred email options on the email and SMS page. The options are:
- Feedback emails
- Reminder emails
- Product emails
- news emails
- Shopping brand emails
- Shopping Bag Emails
- Text messages (SMS)