what you need to know
- From your profile, tap the menu icon in the mobile app, select Settings > Notifications, and choose which alerts you want to disable.
- On the web, go to your profile, click Settings > Notifications, and then select the alerts you want to turn off.
- If you don’t want to turn off alerts, you can choose to receive alerts only for specific activities or user groups.
This article explains how to turn off notifications for posts and stories, and other activities on the Google mobile app. Instagram and in a desktop browser.
How to turn off post and story notifications on the Instagram mobile app
The notifications feature of the Instagram app gives you a lot of control over the types of notifications you receive (or choose not to receive). Follow these steps to disable posts and stories on Instagram.
You can turn notifications back on quite easily.
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile device and tap the Profile icon in the bottom right corner.
- On your profile page, tap the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.
- I touched Setting in the slide-out menu that appears.
- I touched Notifications.
- Touch Posts, stories, and comments.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and choose how you want to handle notifications from the first posts and stories :
- Disabled: Turn off all notifications for first posts and stories.
- Of people I follow: Allow only first post and story notifications from people you follow.
- Of all: Allows notifications of first posts and stories from all over the world.
In addition to first posts and stories, there are many other notifications that you can turn off on the same screen.
- Likes: Turn off or choose who you want to receive notifications from when they like a post you’ve created.
- Likes and comments on photos: Turn off or choose who you want to receive notifications from when they like or comment on photos you’ve posted.
- Your photos: Turn off or choose who notifies you when they like or comment on photos you’re tagged in.
- Comments: Turn off or choose who gets notified when they like or comment on comments you’ve left on Instagram.
- Comments Likes and Pins: Turn notifications for comment likes and pins on or off.
Suppose you want to turn off all notifications. In that case, you can do it at once by tapping Additional options in the system settings and tapping Show notifications to turn on (green) or turn off (white) all notifications from the Instagram app.
How to turn off Instagram notifications from a web browser
If you use Instagram on your computer, you can also disable notifications from your web browser.
Changing your notification preferences only applies to the device you change them. So if you change them on the Instagram desktop app through a web browser, it doesn’t affect the notifications you receive when you use the Instagram app on your mobile device.
- Open Instagram in your web browser, and then click on your profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- In the menu that appears, select Settings.
- In the navigation menu on the left, select Push notifications.
- Scroll through the list on the next screen and adjust the notification you want or don’t want to receive. Those options include:
- Comments Likes
- Likes and comments on your photos
- Accept follow requests
- friends on Instagram
- Instagram Direct Requests
- Instagram Direct
- First posts and stories
- IGTV View Counts
- help requests
- live videos
For each selection, you can choose between On or Off or, in some cases, you have the options of Disabled, From people I follow, or From everyone.
Once you have made your selections, you can return to Instagram, and your new settings will be saved automatically.