Let’s dive into the process of how to get verified on Instagram so you can decide for yourself.
You’ve probably seen the blue checkmark next to the profile names of some of the accounts you follow on Instagram. This little badge of honor means that the account has been “verified.” But are there advantages to being verified? And would Instagram verification be beneficial for you or your business?
What does it mean to be verified on Instagram?
According to Instagram, being verified simply means that “Instagram has confirmed that an account is the authentic presence of the public figure, celebrity or brand it represents”. The blue Instagram check appears next to the names of verified accounts. The badge is not used to endorse accounts or public figures. Rather, it is a tool to help people find the real accounts of public figures and brands.
Can a normal person be verified on Instagram?
This is a common question, and the answer depends on how you define a “Normal person«. To get verified on Instagram, you have to be a real person. It must also be notable, which means that you or your company must have an established brand that is often searched for or mentioned in multiple news sources.
Honestly, most people don’t fall into the notable category, and that’s okay. Instagram’s blue brand isn’t meant to be for everyone; it’s simply a verification tool for users to tell the difference between @taylorswift and @way_taylor_swift, so you know which one is the real deal.
How to Get Verified on Instagram?
do you still want to try to get verified on Instagram? Let’s take a look at how the process works so you can see if Instagram verification is right for you.
How many followers do you need to be verified on Instagram?
Fortunately, the number of followers you have on Instagram has no bearing on whether you can be verified. However, most verified Instagram accounts have several thousand or hundreds of thousands of followers. This is because these accounts are considered notable public figures, brands, or businesses, which are much more likely to have large followings.
That said, if you meet the criteria listed below to get verified on Instagram, you won’t have to worry about how many followers you have.
How much does Instagram verification cost?
Money can’t buy happiness, and it can’t buy you an Instagram verification badge either. If you come across a service that offers to verify you on Instagram in exchange for a ridiculous amount of money, it is (a) a scam or) someone claiming to help you be unique and remarkable enough to be eligible for a legit blue tick.
The verification process through Instagram is totally free, so if the blue tick is your goal, you need to take real steps to grow your brand and increase your reach.
Official requirements to be verified on Instagram
- Authentic: Represents a real person, registered business, or entity.
- Unique: Represents the unique presence of the person or company. Only one account can be verified per person or company, with exceptions for language-specific accounts. Instagram does not verify accounts of general interest (for example, @puppymemes).
- Complete: Your account must be public and have a bio and profile picture. It must also be active when applied.
- Notable: Your account must represent a well-known and sought-after person, brand, or entity. Instagram reviews accounts that appear in multiple news sources. They do not consider paid or sponsored media content as review sources.
How to request Instagram verification?
If you think you meet the above criteria, then it’s worth going through the verification process. Here is a step-by-step guide to requesting Instagram verification:
- Open Instagram on your phone and sign in to your account.
- Tap your profile picture to go to your profile.
- Open the menu at the top right, and then tap Settings.
- Tap Account, then tap Request verification.
- Enter your full name and provide the required form of official identification (driver’s license, photo ID, passport, or official business documents).
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Once Instagram reviews your verification request, you will receive a notification on Instagram up to 30 days after the request to inform you whether or not your account has been verified. If your Instagram verification request is denied, you can submit a new request again at 30 days.
How to Increase Your Chances of Getting Instagram Verified?
Now that you know the basics, Still interested in being verified on Instagram? If so, here are some things you can do to increase your odds.
Instagram won’t even consider verifying your account unless you follow their terms and guidelines. We have provided links to them in the section above, but simply put, you should not buy or sell likes, comments, or followers. Here are some other rules you need to follow to get your account in good standing with Instagram:
- Only post content that is yours or that you have permission to post.
- Don’t post nudes.
- Obey the law.
- Be respectful of others.
2. Become a news
This is the requirement that will prevent most accounts from being verified on Instagram. Since account verification lets people know the account is real, the business, brand, or person needs to be notable in some way.
First, consider what you are already known for. you are an artist? A photographer? A writer? A fashion icon? Use that bit of recognition to build buzz around your brand, personality, or work. If breaking news sounds like a lot of work, that’s because it is! You can certainly hire a PR agent to help you, which will do more for your personal brand than getting Insta verified.
Here are some examples of things you can do based on the types of accounts that are verified on Instagram.
- Artist – Submit your work to galleries, apply for grants, or write press releases about current projects and send them to local media outlets.
- Musician: Offer to play at non-profit events and festivals that will garner news attention, get your work featured on Spotify, or release an album.
- Photographer: Publish your work in reputable books, magazines, and websites. Submit your work to galleries.
- Writer – Publish your work in print and send press releases to the media about your work.
- Fashion Icon – Work with big brands that will feature you in the media.
3. Increase your followers
This sounds easy, but growing your Instagram account can be a full-time job. Since your goal is to get verified on Instagram, you’ll need to spend time on the platform engaging with your followers, building a community, and growing your account. Respond to every comment, work with brands to get your posts featured on big accounts, and post content that stands out.
4. Do not walk away from the controversy
Instagram has become so much more than pretty pictures and one-sentence captions. If you want to stand out on Instagram, you have to be willing to get people thinking by encouraging discussion and even healthy disagreement. We’re not talking about spewing hate, the world has enough of that, but you have to be willing to talk about topics you believe in, especially if they’re relevant to your personal journey.
5. Be authentic and unique
This should come as no surprise, as being authentic and unique is part of Instagram’s official requirements to be verified. You’ll have a better chance of getting the blue mark on Instagram if you post authentic and unique content that resonates with your followers. Think about what sets you apart from the millions of Instagram users out there. What can you do to celebrate and promote that difference??
We’ll be the first to admit that getting verified on Instagram isn’t for everyone, but it may just be for you! With our tips, you can find an iconic blue checkmark in your future on Instagram. And if you’re looking for more Instagram insights, here’s how to hide Instagram likes if you ever need to.
I am dedicated to providing you with the best of blogging, with a focus on dependability and how to write a blog, case study, blogging tips, digital marketing, SEO, and WordPress tutorial.