What to know
- Go to Snapchat.com/Create and upload your filter. When you set your location, enter an address and select Draw close.
- In the Snapchat app, upload a filter. When setting your location, touch and hold the corners of the default geofence to drag it into place.
- The filter must be a minimum of 20,000 square feet and a maximum of 50,000 square feet.
This article explains how to create a geofence in Snapchat on the web or use the mobile app for Android and iOS.
How Snapchat geofences work?
A geofence is a virtual enclosure on a Snapchat snap map. Its purpose is to tell Snapchat exactly where, geographically, you can use a filter.
When you create your own Snapchat filter on the web or in the app, you receive a default geofence at the chosen location after entering a specific address in the location field. You can customize the existing geofence by default or draw it from scratch to include (or exclude) other surrounding areas that you decide. You do this when you get to the set location step of the filter creation process.
Why use a geofence for your Snapchat filter?
A well-drawn geofence can help get more of the right people to access your filter. If you have a business or organization and use a filter to help promote one of your events, your exposure will depend on your geofence.
Snapchat users who take photos within the boundaries of your geofence could use your filter on their photos and potentially publish them What stories, meaning you’ll get more exposure from their spectators. And if someone decides to create a story (which is a public collection of stories in a specific location) from your geofenced location, this will encourage others to add their own stories, perhaps with your filter!
How to Create a Geofence on Snapchat on the web?
The following steps will guide you through the process of creating your filter and corresponding geofence through Snapchat.Com in a web browser.
- Go to Snapchat.com/Create in a browser web and select Start > Filters.
- Go up or design your filter.
- Choose Following to choose your dates and continuation, and select Next again to set your location.
- To create your geofence, use the field at the top to type in an address and select the correct one from the dropdown list.
- If your location doesn’t have a specific address, try typing an address close to it, and then use your cursor to drag the map to the correct location.
- Select Draw close to the right of the field Location.
- Click on a point on the map to drop your first point, and then click elsewhere to drop another. You can continue with as many circular stitches as you like until you get back to the first one to delimit the geofence.
- To further customize your geofence, select any of the eight white circular dots located in the corners and along the sides of the default square geofence to expand, contract, or reshape it by dragging it into place. You can also select Reset Fence in the location field to start over.
- Choose to check out at the bottom right to purchase your new filter and geofence.
How to Create a Geofence on Snapchat in the app?
Since you can create filters within the Snapchat app, you can also use that platform to set their corresponding geofences.
- Open the app of Snapchat and touch the icon of your profile/Bitmoji at the top left.
- Select the gear icon in the top right.
- Choose Filters and Lenses > Get Started! > Filter and start creating your filter following the indicated steps.
- Select the green checkmark at the bottom right when you’re happy with your filter layout.
- Select the dates for your filter to go live, and then select the green to continue button to pass to your geofence.
- Once you have reached the location settings tab, you should see the default square geofence surrounding your location current on a map.
- If your filter’s location is different from the current one, use the field at the top to write a Location and select it from the list dropdown.
- Press and hold one of the white circular dots on the default geofence to drag it into place.
- Unlike creating geofences on the web, you only have four corners to work on, and you can’t draw your geofence from scratch.
- When you are satisfied with your geofence, select the green continue button to make your purchase.
Things to keep in mind when creating your geofence
- Your filter must be a minimum of 20,000 feet square and can only be a maximum of 50,000 square feet. If you are below or above, your geofence will turn red, and a warning will appear at the bottom or top of the screen.
- Avoid using too many circular dots or create a shape with delicate areas to help ensure adequate coverage.
- The cost of your filter can change depending on how you draw your geofence. Geofences that cover popular areas tend to be more expensive.
- Snapchat does not provide a timeline review for purchased filters, but you will receive an email once approved.