How to activate the YouTube dark theme? The YouTube Dark Theme option, often referred to as YouTube dark mode is a setting available to all users who want to change the app’s default white background to a dark background. We explain why it is so popular and how you can activate it yourself.
What are the advantages of YouTube dark theme?
YouTube’s dark theme is a cosmetic change that doesn’t affect how YouTube works at all. There are several reasons why users decide to activate it:
- The setting color results in less eye strain in low-light environments.
- Dark mode can save battery life on devices with a screen OLED, like Apple’s iPhone X smartphone.
- Some persons they think the darker color scheme looks cooler than the standard color scheme.
How to activate the YouTube dark theme on iOS?
The official YouTube app for iOS allows users to turn dark mode on and off on the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Here’s how to turn on YouTube’s dark theme:
- Open the application of Youtube on your smart device iOS and touch the picture of your profile in the upper right corner.
- Choose Settings.
- Select Dark Theme to activate the setting.
YouTube Dark Theme settings are device specific; if you activate it on one device it will not be activated on all the others. If you want YouTube dark mode on your smartphone, tablet, and computer, you have to activate it on each device.
How to activate the YouTube dark theme on Android?
YouTube dark theme is available on the official YouTube app for Android smartphones and tablets. Here’s how to turn it on and off.
- Open the YouTube app on your Android device and tap your account profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
Your YouTube account icon may be hidden if you’re watching a video or searching within the app. YouTube for Android to make it appear, drag the video you’re watching to the bottom of the screen to minimize it, and then tap Home on the menu.
- Choose Settings > General > Appearance.
- Choose dark theme
How to enable YouTube dark theme on a desktop?
YouTube dark theme can be enabled on a PC or Mac computer using any internet browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or Microsoft Edge. Regardless of your computer and browser combination, the instructions for turning on dark mode are the same.
- go to youtube.com in your internet browser.
- Select your profile picture in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Appearance: Device theme in the dropdown menu.
- Choose a dark theme.
- The screen immediately changes to a dark theme.
Your YouTube dark theme preferences remain unique for each browser you use on your computer. For example, if you turn on dark mode in Firefox, it stays off in Chrome until you turn it on in that browser as well.